Published December 12, 2010
KABUL, Afghanistan – An explosives-packed minibus blew up at the entrance of a joint NATO-Afghan base in southern Afghanistan on Sunday, killing six NATO troops and two Afghan soldiers as they prepared to head out on patrol.
NATO has claimed improvements in security after months of raids, patrols and strikes on insurgents in Kandahar province, but Sunday’s blast — the deadliest attack on coalition troops this month — shows the area is still far from safe.
The assault comes days ahead of a major White House review of its Afghan strategy following President Barack Obama’s decision last year to send 30,000 American reinforcements in a bid to reverse gains by the Taliban since they were ousted from power in the 2001 U.S.-led invasion.
Afghan officials said Sunday’s suicide attack took place in Kandahar’s Zhari district, where Mullah Mohammad Omar organized the Taliban in the early 1990s. Taliban spokesman Qari Yousuf Ahmadi claimed responsibility for the blast, saying the insurgent group was retaliating for attacks on its fighters in the area in recent months.
December 12, 2010 | Categories: 2012 Election, America's Freedoms, Americans Reject Sharia and Islamic Supremacism, Armed Forces, Classified Intelligence, Cloward and Piven Strategy, Economic Security, Education, Elections Politics, Foreign Policy, Government, Government Regulations, International Affairs, International News, International Politics, Liberals Big Spending and Taxes, Media Corruption, Middle East Affairs, Military Veterans, National Security, New Media News, Nuclear Security, Politics, Progressives pushing for Marxism/Socialism, Radical Liberal Progressive Left, Redistribution of Wealth, Terrorism, The Economy, Weather News | Tags: 6 troops killed, Afghanistan, Defense Secretary Robert Gates, Kabul, NATO, suicide bombings, Taliban, U. S. Forces, War on Terror, Zhari | Leave A Comment »
THE bomber who blew himself up in a terror attack in Sweden was based in the UK, it emerged last night.
Iraqi Taimour Abdulwahab Al-Abdaly lived in a three-bedroom semi with his wife and three children.
Neighbours said he vanished from the house in Luton, Beds, about two weeks ago.
Abdulwahab, 29, believed to be a Sunni Muslim, had lived there for about eight months.
But he is thought to have been in Luton – a town with a large Muslim population – for up to six years.
British security services are trying to establish whether he was radicalised when he studied sports therapy at Bedford University between 2001 and 2004.
Abdulwahab died instantly when he triggered his suicide bomb backpack among crowds of Christmas shoppers in Stockholm on Saturday.
December 12, 2010 | Categories: Economic Security, Foreign Policy, Government, Intelligence, International Affairs, International News, National Security, New Media News, Progressives pushing for Marxism/Socialism, Terrorism, War on Terror | Tags: 1st ever SB in Sweden, no one else killed or injured, suicide bomber, suspect from UK, suspect killed, Sweden, War on Terror | Leave A Comment »
Well, this century is pretty young, but as NBC reported this morning, the Minneapolis-St. Paul area received the most snow in a single December day since records began in the late 19th century. Minneapolis got 17 inches of snow in less than 24 hours, but the south suburban area where I live got more than 21 inches of snow altogether. The picture on the front page shows the accumulation on my deck; the chairs stand about three feet high or so, as does the nearly-covered table.
NBC’s report from early this morning came before the news media had realized that the Metrodome collapsed last night:
December 12, 2010 | Categories: New Media News, Progressives pushing for Marxism/Socialism, Science & Technology, Weather News | Tags: airport delays, airports, extreme weather, holiday travel, mid-west economy, mid-west storm, weather | 1 Comment »
Posted Dec 12th 2010 at 2:41 pm
by Larry Kudlow
For once, top Obama economic advisor Larry Summers got it right. Warning opponents of the big tax-cut deal, Summers told reporters, “Failure to pass this bill in the next couple weeks would materially increase the risk that the economy would stall out and we would have a double-dip recession.”
Too bad Mr. Summers didn’t advise the president to cut taxes across-the-board two years ago, rather than push for the misbegotten $800 billion government-spending package. That policy dismally failed to ignite a real economic recovery or to lower the unemployment rate.
But it’s never too late to promote good policy. And echoing Summers, in recent months any number of demand- and supply-side economists warned of a double-dip (or nearly so) unless the Bush 2003 tax cuts were extended. The economy would be demoralized from a rollback of incentives to work, invest, and take risks. Plus, roughly $600 billion of cash (including the alternative minimum tax) would be drained from the private sector.
Whether Obama is really changing his stripes and abandoning class-warfare, big-government spending remains to be seen. But at least he is out there defending the huge tax-cut package, which is pro-growth, along with a South Korean free-trade deal, which also is pro-growth. Certainly it’s a turn for the better for the White House.
In the wake of the tax-cut announcement, a number of Wall Street forecasters are upping their growth estimates for 2011 and beyond. The consensus seems to have lifted real GDP by nearly a full percentage point. And if the economy can grow by 3.5 to 4 percent, the likelihood of a sizable decline in unemployment literally grows stronger.
December 12, 2010 | Categories: America's Freedoms, Deficit, Economic Security, Education, Government, Healthcare, Learn from History, Liberals Big Spending and Taxes, National Security, New Media News, Politics, Progressives pushing for Marxism/Socialism, Tea Party Conservatives, The Economy, Wall Street - Main Street | Tags: bush tax cuts, double-dip recession, Economics, GDP, larry summers, stimulus, tax cut compromise, tax cuts, tax extension, taxes, unemployment | 1 Comment »