Posted: April 26, 2013
By Todd Beamon
“Last night, we were informed by the FBI that the surviving attacker revealed that New York City was next on their list of targets,” Mayor Michael Bloomberg said at an afternoon news conference.
Bloomberg was referring to Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, who was captured on Friday in suburban Watertown, Mass., after an intense manhunt by authorities. His brother, Tamerlan, 26, was killed in a fierce overnight shootout with police earlier on Friday.
“He told the FBI apparently that he and his brother intended to drive to New York and detonate additional explosives in Times Square,” Bloomberg added. “They had built these additional explosives — and we know that they had the capacity to carry out the attacks.”
April 18, 2013
The FBI is now sharing the photos with the public but the New York Post ran several photos that they linked to the investigation Thursday.
In the photos being distributed by law-enforcement officials, one of the men is carrying a blue duffel bag. The other is wearing a black backpack in the first photo, taken at 10:53 a.m., but it is not visible in the second, taken at 12:30 p.m, the Post reported.
“The attached photos are being circulated in an attempt to identify the individuals highlighted therein,” said an e-mail obtained by The Post. “Feel free to pass this around to any of your fellow agents elsewhere.”
Authorities know the names of the two men, but do not have enough evidence to make an arrest for Monday’s attack, which killed three and wounded 176, sources told the Post.
Fox said a reporter for the network had seen the photos and called them “clear.”
By: John Hayward
4/17/2013 01:07 PM
Yesterday the Senate mail facility discovered a letter addressed to Republican Senator Roger Wicker of Mississippi that was laced with a suspicious white powder. Preliminary tests somewhat inconclusively suggested the powder included ricin, a toxic substance made from castor beans. According to the Centers for Disease Control, ricin can cause injury or death in very small amounts, through either inhalation, ingestion, or skin contact. This makes it an attractive chemical-biological warfare option for the evil scumbag on a budget.
By Adam Housley
Posted: July 29, 2011
Mexican drug cartels have stepped up the pressure and are attempting to smuggle narcotics into the United States in alarming numbers and in increasingly creative ways.
From methamphetamine stuffed inside a car battery, to black-tar heroin wedged in a drive shaft, to fuel tanks filled with drugs instead of gas, the cartels are going to great lengths to get their narcotics into the U.S., law enforcement officials say.
by Wes Barrett | July 27, 2011
A new report released by Republicans on the House Homeland Security Committee shows there’s still a threat of Americans being recruited by Somali terror group and Al Qaeda ally Al Shabaab for the purpose of carrying out attacks in the U.S.
Committee chairman Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y. held a hearing Wednesday on Al Shabaab recruiting in America. It was the third in a series of controversial “Muslim radicalization” hearings King has called
“The key finding is that there is a looming danger of American Shabaab fighters returning to the U.S. to strike or helping Al Qaeda and its affiliates attack the homeland,” the report reads. “U.S. intelligence underestimated the Pakistani Taliban and Al Qaeda in Yemen’s capability of launching attacks here; we cannot afford to make the same mistake with Shabaab.”
Wednesday, October 13, 2010
WINTERSBURG, Ariz. — Authorities are investigating a suspicious package that was found early Wednesday at a nuclear power plant west of Phoenix.
Maricopa County Sheriff’s spokesman Brian Lee says security officers at the Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station called them at about 5 a.m. after they found the suspicious package. A second call initially led to confusion that a second device may have been found, but that was quickly discounted.
Lee says a sheriff’s bomb squad is investigating.
A spokesman for plant operator Arizona Public Service Co. says security guards found the suspicious package during a search of a vehicle at a checkpoint about a mile from the plant.
The plant is operating normally, but traffic in and out is stopped.
(UPDATE) Deputy: Smoke flare likely nuke plant scare cause
TheState.com (South Carolina’s Homepage)
WINTERSBURG, Ariz. — A device that caused the entrance to a nuclear power plant west of Phoenix to be closed appears to be a smoke flare used in firefighter training, authorities said.
The device was found under the seat of an employee’s car at a security checkpoint a mile from the Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station at about daybreak on Wednesday, Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Lt. Brian Lee said. At first glance, it looked like a stick of dynamite, so plant security closed the checkpoint to traffic as a precaution.
Power plant operations weren’t affected and the checkpoint was reopened after about three hours.
The employee was questioned but Lee says she was not arrested. An official with plant operator Arizona Public Service Co. said the issue will likely be handled as an internal matter.
The device was 4 to 6 inches long and had a fuse attached, said Bob Bement, the vice president for nuclear operations at APS. Lee said it had “smoke” written on it.
The device was detonated at another location.
Security guards at the checkpoint search every vehicle entering, said Jim McDonald, a spokesman for plant operator Arizona Public Service Co. Closing the checkpoint was standard procedure, he said, and the biggest problem was that the incident happened at shift change and traffic backed up.
A similar incident happened at the plant in November 2007 when security guards at the same checkpoint found a pipe bomb in the bed of an employee’s truck. The employee told investigators he rarely used the truck, left it parked in his apartment complex lot and didn’t know who placed it in the truck bed. He was cleared to return to work.
The triple-reactor plant 50 miles west of Phoenix is the nation’s largest nuclear power facility. It is owned by APS and a consortium of western power companies.
September 21, 2010 – 5:46 PM | by: Catherine Herridge
A Yemeni official with knowledge of the raid tells Fox it is not part of a “hunt and capture” campaign targeting the American cleric Anwar al-Awlaki. Rather it was an effort to cut off supply lines for extremists in the southern part of Yemen, including members of the Al Qaeda affiliate, Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, also known as AQAP.
The Yemeni source also tells Fox that about a dozen members of AQAP were in the village of Hatwa, about the size of 10 city blocks, in Shabwa province. The source said there is no confirmation that Awlaki was among the group, adding the mission to take out the AQAP cluster was not triggered by intelligence that Awlaki was there.